Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Ligonier

Woah, it's been three months since I posted?? How did that happen? Well now that I am home super sick and lying down hurts my congested head, I guess I have all the time in the world to blog, lol. Despite feeling awful, I am so grateful for the timing of this illness. My report cards are written and I've been home from my trip for a week. 

My trip. I went away for two weeks with my friend Serene. We had talked for awhile that we would like to attend a Ligonier conference some day because of the amazing Bible teaching that comes out of there. If you haven't heard of it, Ligonier was founded by RC Sproul and its mission is: proclaiming, teaching and defending the holiness of God in all its fullness to as many people as possible. They do all kinds of different podcasts, teaching series, a magazine, book publishing and I don't even know what all. Anyway, it's a huge organization and we went to their annual conference in Orlando. I don't even know where to start to talk about how great it was. The people. There were 5,400 people registered. We both actually hate crowds but this crowd was different. They were super friendly. All the volunteers were lovely and helpful. I struck up conversations with random people and my introverted self didn't even mind. Then there was the teaching. There are six "teaching fellows" who range from academics to pastors. They aren't of course all equally good, but overall the teaching was amazing. I even got to meet and get a selfie with Bob, one of my favourites. The venue. We stayed in a massive hotel which was also the site of the conference, so it was convenient. But the hotel itself was also lovely and had lots of restaurants and beautiful grounds. Because all the conference members were wearing lanyards, it felt warm and familial everywhere I went. The music. I love all kinds of music, but there is something special about hymns, especially with a live orchestra. There were also four mini concerts, my favourite being a cello concert. To top it off, the conference always ends with a choir singing the Hallelujah chorus. Wow! Need I say more? I was very sorry when the conference ended, but so grateful that I got to go. 

Next time I'll write about part two of our trip, but for now, I'm off to drink tea and read some John Calvin.