Saturday, September 21, 2024

Timing

I went to a beautiful celebration of life for my childhood pastor today. It was like a slice of heaven: the music, the atmosphere, the hymns, connecting with old friends. The timing of it was so curious, or should I say providential. This morning I heard devastating news that a preacher that I look up to has had a moral failing and has had to step down from all his ministries. I don't know him personally, although I have heard him speak in person. I really thought that he was one of the solid ones; I couldn't imagine him failing, and yet here we are. But I have to admit, that although he was a powerful preacher and expositor of God's Word, I have no idea who he was when he stepped off the stage.

Someone I did know, on and off the stage, was my childhood pastor. So, interesting that it was his life we were celebrating in memoriam today. To admire someone from afar is one thing, but to know someone in a small church for 35 years is quite another. I have blogged about him before, so I won't go into it here. But, I am very blessed that I have had the privilege of knowing many strong pillars of the Christian faith up close and personal. And I am so thankful that they have been unshakeable and strong. That their moral character has been strong and unwavering. So yes it's terribly sad that a well known preacher has fallen from grace, but it happens. No one is invincible. But today we celebrated the life of someone I knew, who helped shepherd me as my pastor and who lived out an exemplary Christian life. I am so grateful for his example, for his faithfulness and integrity. I am who I am today in part because of the church he shepherded for 16 years. 


My pastor is on the left. He officiated our wedding 25 years ago, together with my grandfather, who is on the right.