Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Delight

"I want to be a person who is easily delighted, who lives with an extremely low bar for delight. I want to be flooded with joy by a perfectly ripe peach, heart-bursting with happiness at the sound of my kids' laughter, dazzled by the sky at dusk." 

And so, here is my list of things that have delighted me lately in no particular order:

My new deck. My brother replaced our rotting wood decking with composite tiles. I love it so much and he did it right before school ended.



Handwritten thank you cards from my students, complete with heartfelt messages and drawings of us holding hands. Also emails from parents who say my daughter no longer says I hate school every day like she did the year before.

The laughter of my often sullen, moody preteen daughter. Especially while playing cards.

My daughter's theological questions of late. I don't know all the answers, but I am so delighted that she is thinking deeply about things.

Going to a favourite cafe or patio with a friend and finding it delightfully empty and quiet. There is also a certain delight in a bustling, lively restaurant, but lately I have enjoyed the quiet.

Ice cream.

The orchid I received from a student that is still (miraculously) alive two weeks later. I am skilled at killing plants, so it's always a miracle when I manage to keep one alive. 

Summer skirts and dresses.

Friends who keep in touch in the summer. A lot of things go on break in the summer and some friendships seem to do the same. That tells me something about those friendships. But what a delight to hear from a co-worker who wants to get together.

My new pajamas. I love pajamas, especially new ones that are soft and look like a lounge set. 

Discovering new music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FNF9V1jioY

Sandwiches. I love a good sandwich. The good ones are messy and almost too thick to fit in your mouth. But they contain some of my favourite things in every bite: tomato, bread, cheese, bacon, avocado, or some combination of these.



There are many more things, but that's it for now. I hope you find your own list of delightful things because after all, "delight is its own reward".