Thursday, August 29, 2024

Summer

The last languid days of summer...the lazy slow days of sitting in the hammock. Of swim and sauna. Listening to the crickets and the river. Savoring a good book. 

We're spending the end of summer at my brother's house and it's perfect. I feel like summer could go on forever. The kids are entertaining each other. The sky is bright blue and cloudless. Pentti and I go for a leisurely coffee at the bakery in the tiny town of Lumby. We all eat dinner together, all 11 of us, followed by homemade apple pie and ice cream. Our first full day here winds down. The boys are in the sauna...the four cousins. The dog is lying on the floor, exhausted. The rest of us are in our own corners and it's quiet and lovely and relaxed. Outside on the deck, I swing in the hammock and stare at the stars. I can feel the cool, crisp of autumn in the air. What a glorious end to summer 2024...