Thursday, December 14, 2017

navigating

Some people have an amazing sense of direction. My 5 yr old daughter often knows where we are when I am driving, commenting that we are passing grandpa's, or the church etc even if we are just passing by and no one else has mentioned where we are or where we're going. Others do not.  I do not have a good sense of direction, but neither does my friend Shelle. We recently attended a concert and missed the same turn off twice (or was it three times). Of course, we were busy talking, so it wasn't totally a lack of direction, but still. Yesterday, we found ourselves searching for our rides on the wrong floor of the parkade. Need I tell you that it's challenging to find a car that is one level above you? Luckily our friendship is not based on our "excellent" navigating skills, unless navigating away from people counts, lol. I met Shelle through the choir. She seemed nice enough, but hard to really know based on shallow convos during practice breaks. But then I sat next to her at dinner on our retreat and she seemed to want to run away as badly as I did. The introvert in me who was having anxiety over socializing all weekend with 50+ people I barely knew rejoiced. It's so rare to come across people who really get me, so to find someone who wasn't in her glory being a social butterfly all weekend was a relief. Yay, rejoice, all ye people, but separately, in your own corners please.