Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Pasta


I love pesto. Homemade pesto. My only problem with it is that fresh basil is harder to come by in the winter. You can still get it, but they don't sell it at the farm in huge bunches, like they do in the summer. You also can't really grow it yourself when it's only 5 C outside. At the grocery store, it comes in little plastic containers that contain a few measly basil leaves.
So, I was very excited to see a recipe for pesto that called for only a handful of basil and used lots of arugula and avocado instead. The recipe is found here:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/linguine-with-avocado-and-arugula-pesto-recipe/index.html
I changed a few things (no almonds for me) and cut the amount of salt and lime juice, and added some cherry tomatoes on top. It was delicious!! It was like having a bit of summer in the middle of a cold and dreary winter. Finding/trying a new recipe that works; awesome!
(I need to warn you that you need to love the taste of lime in order to enjoy this recipe)