Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Christ City Women's Retreat

It has been three years since we joined Christ City and I find it's still hard to get to know new people in the quick conversations before and after church. Yes, I greet a lot of people on Sundays and in a lot of cases I even know their names. But, I don't feel like I actually KNOW them. I teach Sunday school, so I get to know which parents go with which kids, and I get to chat with whoever is serving with me on a particular Sunday. But it still doesn't come naturally and since I am an introvert, my dislike for small talk doesn't help either.
Anyway, the amazing thing is that I still feel at home at Christ City. I love it and I feel like it's exactly where we belong as a family. But in my effort to get to know people, I attended our women's retreat a couple weeks ago. I'm not going to lie, I was a little sorry that I had signed up when the actual day came around to leave for retreat. But, I had already paid and I truly believe in getting out of my comfort zone, so I made myself go. And of course it was wonderful! Just like two years ago, when I also forced myself to go. Do I never learn?
I drove up to Squamish and roomed with Julie. Julie is an introvert and a brilliant musician and a really knowledgeable, well-rounded person. I loved hanging around with her because we had some great conversations and she is so deep in her thinking. Interestingly, we both had similar things on our hearts and we were able to share and encourage each other. I learned a lot from her even in just three days.
I also got to know some ladies who I had not known previously at all. Since there are three gatherings at Christ City, it is possible to never see some of the people that attend my own church. This is unfortunate, but just the way it is. Anyway, I signed up for a hike on Saturday afternoon with 13 other ladies. It was such a great time of being outside, walking, talking and casually getting to know new people. The great thing about being outdoors is that I find that even extroverts don't mind silence in the woods, lol. Plus, there's always something to talk about if you want to talk, because the beauty all around provides endless fodder for discussion. Anyway, I got to know Julie (another one) and Ruth on that walk and I'm so glad I did!
Of course the retreat also included meals together and worship and games and teaching, but what I really took away from it all was the lovely people that I got to meet and know. It's always great when you get to know the people from your church and you find that you love your church even more as a result!!