Friday, November 9, 2018

choir retreat


When your weekend starts with singing and dancing in the car all the way to Whistler, you know it's going to be a good weekend! I think I may have shocked my friend Shelle when I started belting out the songs on our road trip playlist. When I added some dancing, I'm not sure that she recognized me anymore, lol. But, she adjusted and joined right in. We were the first to arrive at Whistler and settled into our suite, chilling out, drinking tea and listening to music. When the others arrived, I'm pretty sure they didn't expect to be greeted by blaring All About That Bass, but they didn't seem to mind either...in fact, Dee showed me her moves to the song the next day, lol.
It was such a perfect weekend that my heart is STILL full and it's been almost two weeks. It's hard for me to let people in. I can be very quiet and reserved and stand offish. Even when I am friendly, there are very few people that get to see the real me...the one without makeup, the one who just got outta bed and is still in pajamas, the one who dances around, the one who is so competitive she calls people "sucker" (sorry Dee). But that weekend I was free, and unencumbered and happy. It can't last of course; the walls are firmly back in place, lol. But it was nice to be real and to hang around with people who get me.
Shelle and I even went into the hot tub (gasp). I hate being seen in a swimsuit, but we had decided to do it and I'm glad we did. Originally, I had hoped that no one else would be there. That we could just chill without having to talk or be seen, lol. My wish came true on Friday night. On Saturday night, however, there were lots of people at the pools and we socialized A LOT and who knew, we loved it?? I even changed my mind about some people who I had unfairly decided that I didn't like. It's funny who turns out to be a great person when you actually get to know them (why have I still not learned this lesson?).
My suitemates were the best. We played games, we ate, we watched baseball (what?), we laughed, we snored (lol). My roommate was Dee, one of my favourite people! It's so interesting who God puts into your life and how unexpected and wonderful the friendships that form can be. I did not join the choir expecting to make any "real" friends. Anyway, we had some nice early morning conversations, we went for a walk, we sang, and she made me coffee! Anyone who makes me good coffee in the morning pretty well has my undying devotion, lol, but I already loved her before that.
I was sad when the weekend came to an end and we had to head back home. However, I did feel that for once I was able to stay in the moment and enjoy the weekend for all its worth. I often find that after a vacation or retreat or whatever, I regret not enjoying it fully. But that weekend was different. I loved every minute, while being fully present in every moment. Well, except maybe the baseball...lol

PS. The photo below is from my walk with Dee. I look awful, but in the spirit of authenticity, I'm posting it anyway :)