Thursday, October 3, 2019

Weekend In Hope

I spent last weekend in Hope with five girlfriends and we had the most amazing time. We ate, we talked, we sang, we played cards, we danced and we relaxed. We drove up in three cars and met at the Earl's in Chilliwack on Friday night for dinner. Apparently Elaine had been quiet and calm until I showed up. I find that hard to believe, but then again, I've never seen what she's like without me around, lol. After a great dinner, we headed to the cabin in Hope. We got settled in, decided on rooming arrangements and had some snacks. No one could bear to go to bed, so even the morning people stayed up fairly late.
I roomed with Lois. I've blogged about her before and how similar we are. It was a little creepy at times when we would have the exact same thought or reaction to something, lol. On Friday night after we'd all stayed up chatting, Lois and I were the last to go to bed at 12:30am. We were, however, still wide awake, so we proceeded to talk until 3am, lol. The next morning, we were also the last to get up. She is also like me in that once awake, she doesn't jump out of bed ready for the day. Instead, we would chat in our room even though we could hear the others downstairs. It was nice to have that time with just her since the rest of the time was filled with so much music and laughter and singing and joking. On Saturday night we were a little better and went to sleep at 2am, lol. Girls weekends are hardly the time to catch up on one's beauty sleep anyway, right?!
Elaine was definitely the wildest of the bunch. As soon as I put music on, she would start grooving; she couldn't help herself. But she also shared some painful stuff from her past which surprised me. There were some heavy conversations amid all the fun. Debra was perhaps the most touched by the weekend. She shared that she doesn't really have girlfriends and that she leads a very quiet life. This weekend was SUPER noisy and she loved it. She said afterward that now she knew what inclusion felt like. Winnie I've known the longest and we went in the sauna together and laughed a lot. She is so much fun! Her and I also drove together so we had time to chat, just the two of us. We even went for sushi on our trip home because clearly we weren't sick of each other yet. Marj could only stay for one night, but drove out by herself because she couldn't bear to miss the fun. She had made lasagna for our Saturday lunch and we had a lovely luncheon before she had to get going. Lois was funny and wise. She has had some hard stuff to deal with lately and I think (I know) this weekend was a great distraction and an opportunity to get away.
We had a lot of fun, but we also had a lot of deep discussions. We sang hymns. We read. We played games. I was completely myself and I am pretty sure that everyone else was too. That's so amazing and rare. Some went for walks and some went to sauna. Some woke up early and some slept in. Some drank wine and some didn't. I think everyone felt free to do as they pleased. There was no drama, no hurt feelings, no tension of any kind. I loved it. I've said it before, but these ladies are my tribe. I am never letting them go.