Wednesday, May 27, 2020

The Best Laid Plans

My best friend recently had a birthday. I am generally a planner, so I had had ideas about what to do and how to celebrate. I hadn't actually gotten as far as organizing anything, but I had been thinking about it. Then COVID hit. All the restaurants were closed for dine in and so were a lot of the other places that I had considered. So, I had to come up with plan B. It involved ordering in and hanging out at my house. Not ideal, but when pretty well everything is closed, there aren't a lot of options. So, at least I had a plan and everything was set. Then the morning of her birthday, the restaurant I had planned to order lunch from wasn't even taking orders. At all. I hate change and unexpected problems, especially when said problems come up the same day. So, we had to go to plan C, which was ordering from somewhere else. Our second choice restaurant was closed. So, we had to order from a third place. As we waited for the food, I was also awaiting the gift that I had ordered two weeks before, which had not arrived. Or, half of it had come, but the other half was still stuck somewhere in the mail. Later, I went to make a latte and it turned out we were out of milk. Needless to say that the day was not going as planned...
But, as I spent time with my friend, it turned out it didn't matter. Yes, I would have preferred Thai food. I would have preferred having her gift all ready instead of wrapping it up while she was already here (the package came). But, I got to spend time with my best friend. Quality time; six hours of it. After not having seen her for weeks during the pandemic, just sitting near her and chatting was lovely. We went for a walk and it was a beautiful sunny day. We had coffee and cake outside on the deck and it was perfect. I hope she felt loved and appreciated because in the end, that's all that matters.