Monday, January 3, 2011

Appreciate Health

As I mentioned in my previous post, my word of the year is APPRECIATE. I have decided to choose one area for each month on which I would like to focus. It’s too overwhelming to think about appreciating everything in every area of my life. I think that the whole idea just gets lost. So, in choosing specific areas, I am hoping to focus my efforts. Of course a lot of the areas overlap. In focusing first on health and wellness, I am hoping that I am actually able to appreciate everything else on my list since I expect to be more engaged, alert and patient, less tired etc. However, I tried to pick logical times of year for certain areas. The boys are out of school in August, so that is a good time to focus on appreciating them (it’s not because they are my eighth priority). Anyway, here’s my list:

January: health and wellness

February: family

March: organization

April: church/spirituality

May: others/neighbours

June: intellect/education

July: marriage

August: children

September: job

October: money

November: leisure

December: creativity

I’m not sure how much I will be sharing in my blog, but at least for January, I’ll share that I am also making a list of specific ways that I want to appreciate wellness and health. This may sound onerous to some, but I want my efforts to be somewhat measurable, even if only to myself. So, in order to achieve wellness and health in January, my goals are:

-watch less tv (no surfing channels for something to watch; recorded programs only)

-get enough sleep (absolute bedtime by 11:30)

-limit internet use (esp. facebook)

-eat more healthily (specifically cut down on butter use and baking)

-exercise of some form every day

-read at least three books

-drink more water

-no night snacking after dinner (other than fruit or decaf tea/coffee)