Monday, August 3, 2020

Frankie's

My friend and I were at Frankie's Jazz Club last night, one of my favourite places in Vancouver. It's a fairly small venue with live music. It feels intimate and personal. Also, the food is good. I have never eaten anything there that I didn't like. 
Frankie's reopened a few weeks ago and I was so happy. Live music is one of the things I miss most right now, whether concerts or worship at church. Frankie's is small enough that they can make it work despite the rules around COVID. There were a few new plexiglass dividers, servers in masks, empty tables etc, in line with new guidelines. But essentially, it felt the same. The vibe was casual and relaxed and lovely. Last night's artist was Maya Rae, an amazing local singer. She's only 18, but what a voice! It was just so nice to listen to someone sing live, accompanied by the piano and bass.  
Afterward, we went for a walk along the water downtown. It was dark and the city lights were reflected in the water. There was a bit of a chill in the air, but it was still warm enough to not need a jacket. There were lots of people out, walking and sitting around enjoying the summer evening. I love Vancouver.