Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Introverted

 I am an introvert. This often surprises people because I can be quite social and I am not quiet. In fact, people often laugh and don't believe me. But usually they just don't really understand what an introvert is. An introvert is not necessarily shy or quiet or antisocial. The defining characteristic of an introvert is how we refuel or get energy. Extroverts are energized by socializing. Introverts are not. This does not mean that we don't like socializing; it means we find it draining. Recharging requires alone time. I can be very social and enjoy hanging out with some of my friends. But, then I require time alone. Some people drain me a lot, some people less so. But being around people in general, is draining.

 But once in a blue moon, you might find someone who does not drain your energy, even after hours of socializing. Someone who actually fills you up. That rare person who somehow manages to energize you. You spend hours and hours together and somehow you feel better after spending time with them. Your heart is full and you don't need time to recharge afterwards. This is a minor miracle.