Sunday, September 6, 2020

Restaurants

My friend and I have been on a quest of sorts to try different lunch places around Vancouver and Burnaby. Ironic that we would choose to do this during a pandemic perhaps, but whatever. Like I have blogged before, a lot of restaurants are actually a lot easier to get into because people are nervous about eating out, so I guess in that sense the timing is perfect.
We often order different things, so our reviews would probably vary somewhat especially if one of us had a great meal and the other didn't. We have talked about the different places we've gone, however, and I don't think she would disagree with me too much. Besides this is my blog, these are my opinions and I'm always right, lol.
I think that the worst place we ate at was The Rise Eatery. The food was not very fresh and the menu was a little weird. It wasn't bad exactly, just not somewhere we would choose to go again.
My favourite place so far was probably Yolks. The food was delicious. I ate every last crumb on my plate. But what I also really appreciated was the way that they had made COVID adjustments part of their overall decor. They had plexiglass dividers between booths, but they were framed in such a way that you didn't even notice or think that they were recent additions. They actually looked nice.
A close second would probably have to be Hart House, not so much for the food, which is pretty good, but for the ambience, the view and its proximity to Deer Lake. We have spent a lot of time going for walks and Deer Lake has been one of our most frequented routes. I love looking at the glistening lake and admiring all the greenery. I don't love the parts of the walk that are in full, scorching sun, but that will soon cease to be a problem with the coming of fall.
Of course if we include restaurants on the way to Hope, then the Shandhar Hut wins hands down. Their Indian food is so delicious and it's family owned, which I really like. I also really like their serving dishes and presentation, but the orangey peach walls are "interesting", lol.
As I think about all the places we've eaten at, there are actually quite a few really good ones. I really liked Aphrodite's, The Gray Olive, Heirloom and Paul's Omelettery. Although it probably goes without saying, the friend I have been with makes for the best company, so that makes the food taste that much better. Obviously I take no responsibility for how it tastes when you're not with your best friend. 
The photo is from a great gelato place we have gone to a few times called Fior Di Latte. The flavours are delicious, the service is always friendly and you can actually sit down and enjoy your gelato. Vancouver has so many great places to eat, I sure hope that they are able to survive and still be around after the pandemic.