Sunday, October 4, 2020

The Weekend


What a lovely weekend. On Friday, there was an in person women's night at my church. There was singing and beautiful sharing and prayer and fellowship. If I'm honest, when I got home from work, I didn't really feel like going. But, I had already registered and committed to helping out, so I dragged myself there. It was so worth it! The picture is from the event. One of the many things I love about my church is that everything is done with a lot of planning and forethought. There were table cloths and flower arrangements and chocolates. But there were also stamped journals and Bible verses that were beautifully lettered with the theme of the evening: flourishing in the waiting. Nothing ever feels last minute or slapped together at my church and I really love that.

On Saturday I had a leisurely morning and then headed out for lunch with Serene. We didn't have a plan, but decided to go to Tacofino. It was so yummy. Then, as we walked in gastown, we came across a cafe called Milano Espresso Lounge. Their lattes were delicious and way better than Starbucks. The vibe was also not so generic; I really liked their industrial decor. After coffee, we went to Pacific Spirit park for a walk. It was a lovely, crisp autumn day; what a perfect day for a walk. Even though there were too many (unleashed) dogs out, it still remains my favourite place to walk.

In the evening, I just wanted to crash on the couch. But, our neighbours had invited us over for some drinks. We sat on their deck and probably annoyed their neighbours with all our laughter. It was most likely one of the last nights that sitting outside will even be possible with the weather changing, so it was really nice. There were blankets and string lights and candles and wine.

Today, we went to church as a family. I am so, so glad that we are able to go in person. I've already blogged about it before, so I won't get into it again. But I have to mention that the sermon was on racism and it was so powerful and true. All are created equal with inherent dignity and value, created in the image of God. It really isn't more complicated or nuanced than that. Racism is a sin and a misunderstanding of justification and the gospel.