Saturday, October 10, 2020

I love autumn

 "Autumn is a season gentle to the weary. I love the juxtaposition of the fierceness and fire of the trees against the hushed grey of days that know they are dying into winter...I'm full of the fiery joy and grey-skied exhaustion all at once".

Fall is my favourite. I love the warm colours, the candles, bundling up, pumpkin everything, and the process of everything dying for a time. I have quite a few friends who like to garden and their favourite season is (unsurprisingly) spring. I do love spring too, but it doesn't speak to me like fall does. Winter, on the other hand, is a little too bleak and has seemingly very little life in it. Fall, however, is more about things going to sleep. Incidentally, sleep is one of my favourite things, lol. 

October is my favourite month. Even though I love the feeling of returning to order and schedules and school resuming in September, I always find September to be a little chaotic. This year, with COVID in the picture, I found it took longer than usual to find a rhythm for our schedule. But I always love October. I love having established routines. I love that our lives have structure. I also love the crisper, cooler air. I am more than a little obsessed with cardigans and in October, I can wear a cardigan every day. I love the vibrant colours of trees that seem to be on fire. I love that it gets darker earlier, but not as dark as winter. I love the fog that often lingers in the morning. I feel like in October, with Thanksgiving, it's okay to slow down and appreciate what I have. I feel like fall is more conducive to curling up with a good book and a cup of tea. This brings joy to my introverted soul.

This weekend, we're spending Thanksgiving in Hope. It's bittersweet since last year we were here as the extended family and my dad was here. It's really awful that he is gone and some days the grief is crushing. But so far this weekend, I have been able to count my blessings. I have so much to be grateful for.