Wednesday, April 19, 2023

I have an 18 year old

I have never been that sentimental mom who cried in kindergarten or felt all weepy that my kids were growing up. But Matias turning 18 today and graduating this year have caught me by surprise. I am feeling nostalgic. And weepy. And sad.

Matias is my firstborn. He is thoughtful and smart and kind. I am proud to be his mom. I can't wait to see what his future holds; I know he will be successful in whatever he decides to do. I have never had to remind him to do his homework, or to practise his piano. He rarely complains if I ask for his help with chores or going to the store for me. He is calm and even-keeled and stable. 

But I wonder if I have been a good mom. Did he have a good childhood? Does he feel loved? Have we set a good example for him? I hope so. Because although we will continue to have an influence in his life, he is no longer a child. And that makes me sad.