Sunday, May 16, 2021

Purpose

Today is the last day of the writing challenge and today's word is PURPOSE. In theory, this one seems too easy: love God and love people. Everything I aspire to can be summed up in those two statements, which are also how Jesus summed up the ten commandments. Theoretically, it can't be that hard, right? Except. In practice, these two things are incredibly challenging.

Let's start with loving God. I know His attributes, I trust Him, I know He loves me, so He's easy to love. The problem is that I love a lot of other things too and they often take over. I love my family, my friends. I love comfort and financial security and good health. Loving these things is not a problem as long as they don't become the focus of my life, but sadly, they often do. Meanwhile, truly loving God means putting Him first.

Then, there's the "problem" of loving people. In theory, I have a vast love for all mankind. But, I'm just not so sure about my neighbour specifically. She is annoying and hates Christians and is always watching our every move. And my other neighbours, well they have a screaming child, a baby and a dog. And then there's my coworker who is kind of weird. I could go on. And on. But if I don't love my "neighbours", then I can't claim to love God. Well that kinda sucks now, doesn't it?! So that means I struggle with loving both my neighbour and with loving God. And ain't that the truth. 

But, I press on because I believe that as I grow in my faith, my love for God and people will grow. And that is my purpose pure and simple.