Sunday, December 18, 2022

Snow

Snow brings with it a quietness that I love. Sitting on my couch, with the Christmas lights twinkling on the tree, the fireplace going, I can see the piles of snow outside and it brings a quiet to my soul. It's like a deep sigh of relief that I didn't know that I needed.

I actually had concert tickets for tonight, to a concert that I really wanted to attend. But, the roads are treacherous and the risk is too great. I decided not to go. And I felt the peace of cancelled plans and a warm cozy house. 

I am determined be still this Christmas season. I want to experience again the wonder of the Christmas story. I was reading one of my favourite writers today and she said, "you can't keep Advent if you can't be a listener. You can't really keep faith at all, because to love God means to be one who waits on the Word made flesh, spoken into our darkness with the first words of a story whose telling remakes the world." I have also been listening to a Christmas album by the Rend Collective. There is an extra refrain added to Silent Night that says, "Be still my heart, be still my mind, May I still see the magic of that silent night. Fill me with wonder, keep mystery alive, may peace on earth be my song tonight". That is my hope this Christmas 2022.