Saturday, June 27, 2020

School's Out!

This bizarre school year finally ended today!! I hope I never have to relive another semester like term 3 of 2019/2020. I remember leaving for spring break and the principal saying we'd be back in two weeks, but to make sure we took everything we might need if schools were out longer. Ha! Term three was the weirdest hybrid of extended break, online teaching, gradual return and everything in between. I am so glad that I only work part time because it was a gong show. It was frustrating and unprecedented and weird. But it was also sad because it highlighted those students who are struggling. They were often the same students who didn't show up much online. I have not seen or heard from some of my students since March 13th, when I last saw them at school. It's a weird end to the year when you haven't seen some students for more than three months and can't even say goodbye.
Despite all that however, there were some highlights. I mailed a letter to every student in my class and one of them wrote me back. His mom sent me a picture of him at the mailbox, posting the letter. Some parents sent me photos of my students and their work. Once school resumed part time, I was able to see a handful of my students and that was really special. I was really touched by how happy they were to see me. I never expect gifts from students, but today there were some waiting for me. One little boy, who I actually wondered if I had connected with, had left me a lovely gift basket. Attached to the gift was a card that said: thanks for making school so fun! That made my day. If kindergarten isn't fun, then I have failed. But if one of the more reserved children who doesn't show much emotion openly thanks me for making the year fun, I feel like I have done my job.
Another highlight was definitely the staff. There are some really lovely teachers at my school and today I was able to chat with many of them. Obviously Lesley is my favourite since we've been friends for 20 years. But there's also Patricia who works across the hall who gave me a lovely card and said the coffee pot is always on, please stop by and included her address. And Hollie who was my partner previously for years. And Chloe the librarian who let students and teachers take out books over the summer, which is unprecedented! And Nichole, my current partner who was so easygoing and on the same page about everything. And Emelyn who had the best sense of humour and would have dance parties with me and the class. And Jen who would make Starbucks runs and ask if wanted anything, I could go on...
Teachers had to be at school today for administrative day which meant we had breakfast as a staff outside on the lawn and cleaned our classrooms. The vibe was relaxed and relieved. There were donuts. Even though it was such a strange year, today brought closure. We survived and who know what September will bring. But for now, no more online meetings, or principal emails or staff meetings or ...Summer break begins today!