Wednesday, March 10, 2021

weekend in Hope

 I have been thinking a lot about rest and peace and Sabbath and what it means to live out of these. To really approach each day from a place of rest as opposed to striving, trying harder, stressing out, worrying... you get the idea. I think in order to live out of a place of rest, you need to press the reset button every once in awhile. To actually stop, and refocus. One of the best ways for me to do this is to get away for a weekend with a friend. I am so fortunate in that we have a cabin to which I can escape and that I have a husband who makes it possible for me to go.

Taking a break from the routine of the ordinary and mundane to just be, to have no responsibilities, no demands, no schedule, and to spend time with a girlfriend is such a welcome break. We sat in the back yard and listened to the birds and the creek, we watched a movie, we ate, we chatted, we went in the sauna, we went for walks, we did whatever we wanted and it was perfect. And so restful. 

But to actually live out of rest goes deeper. Although I feel physically and mentally rested and rejuvenated, living out of a place of perpetual rest involves God and knowing that I am enough. It involves abiding in Him. And this is why spending time with this particular friend is so beautiful. Because in addition to having fun and relaxing and being rejuvenated, we also prayed and discussed the Bible and talked about how we will draw closer to Jesus. It is this rest in God that brings lasting and eternal peace and true rest.