Wednesday, March 3, 2021

 There is so much beauty in the world if you care to look for it and now, more than ever, we need to find and pause to appreciate the lovely. What better time than the spring, especially a spring on the heels of a year of COVID? Spring is such a hopeful time. There is so much new life and so many signs big and small of renewal. There are tiny green leaves on trees and crocuses and snowdrops and birds. As I walked from my car to the school today, I noticed the purple heather and the bright yellow daffodils that had popped up near the front door of the school. It was a bright sunny day and the students were outside laughing, with no jackets. It set the mood for the whole day.

One place that always makes my day is the forest. It's where I have found the most peaceful beauty in the last year. Moss covered trees and ferns and trails and woodpeckers and quietly babbling brooks. Sunlight breaking in through the trees and mushrooms and smiling (maskless) faces. Laughter and good conversation and quiet moments of just being together with my friend. Recently I learned a new term called forest bathing, or shinrin yoku in Japanese. Apparently there are health benefits associated with walking in nature and being near trees. I'm not surprised. If there is one thing that has consistently brought me moments of joy, it has been walks in the forest with my friend. I am so blessed that I have been able to meet with her for walks; I'm pretty sure the walks and the friendship are what have kept me sane during this pandemic.