Monday, March 8, 2021

International Women's Day

 I was thinking this morning about women who have inspired me. I've blogged before about the Finnish women that I knew growing up who definitely inspired me. Then there are the women I admire from afar. I don't really know them, but I admire their ideas or their character or their strength. There are also the women I admire for one particular quality or another, but I don't admire them overall. 

As I reflected on who I admire most, I came to the conclusion that it is my friend Serene. It's one thing to admire someone from afar, when you don't really know them. It's something entirely different to admire someone who you know from close up, someone who is in fact your best friend. I can't get into all the reasons I admire her because it would require divulging information about her life. But, it's enough to say that she is a woman of God. She is strong and beautiful and smart. She is true and honest and faithful. She aspires to be closer to God and then does things to actually get her there. She doesn't just talk the talk as they say, she walks the walk. 

So, on this international women's day, I am so grateful for this friend of mine who inspires me, but also chooses to call me friend.