Wednesday, July 8, 2020

"I have witnessed all kinds of suffering and I have lived pain, and my life can tell: I only deepen the wound of the world when I neglect to give thanks for early light dappled through leaves and the heavy perfume of wild flowers in early July and the song of crickets on humid nights and the stars that rise and the rain that falls and all the good things that a good God gives". Ann Voskamp

I really love Ann Voskamp's writing and the above quote from her Instagram is so true. When I read her book One Thousand Gifts almost ten years ago, I started keeping a gratitude list. I kept it up for years, but have since abandoned the practice. But, it really does change your perspective when you are thankful. And I don't mean generally thankful, I mean thankful to God. Although keeping a list of things you're grateful for is good practice for anyone, it takes on a whole other depth of meaning when that gratitude is directed toward God.
So, I have a lot to be grateful for and I choose joy. Below are some of the random things (big and small) that have brought me joy lately:
-walks in Pacific Spirit park
-good music
-lights on the deck
-lunch dates
-new dresses
-true friendship
-outdoor playdates for the kids
-Bible studies
-trying new restaurants
-meaningful conversations with a close friend
-my house church group