Friday, July 10, 2020

July Birthdays

Ruth and I both have birthdays in July, so we have decided to make this weekend a 3 day celebratory weekend because why not? It's been a weird year of disease and cancer and death, so why not celebrate in style? Today was part one.
We decided to go for afternoon tea to the Neverland Tea Salon. It was a lovely restaurant that neither of us had visited previously. The ambience was perfect and the food was tasty, although I think I still prefer The Secret Garden. But it was a leisurely way to spend an afternoon, especially since we were in no hurry to get anywhere. We wandered around West Broadway and then West 4th before heading home.
At our house, we spent hours on the deck...like 7 hours and counting. (Henry and Ruth are still here as I write this). But like I've blogged before, our hanging out together includes conversation and food, but also just chilling with everyone in their own space. Henry came here straight from work and we decided to have a Mexican theme for dinner. That involved making two kinds of salsa and quesadillas and tacos. It was delicious.
Now Ruth and I are the only ones left on the deck. She is reading and I am blogging. Occasionally we interrupt each other, but we also spend long stretches being silent. And that's perfect for these two introverts. There is nothing more exhausting than spending hours with someone who has an inexplicable need to fill every moment with chatter. I can't handle those kind of people for very long. But I have a few friends, including Ruth, who I will never tire of spending endless amounts of time with because it is not filled with noise. There are moments of comfortable silence. This is huge because comfortable silence is one of my favourite things. Despite how I sometimes come across, I do actually like people. But I generally find socializing draining. Throw in some incessant chatter and/or awkward silences and I want to run away screaming (except I'd be more likely to quietly sneak away and hope that no one notices). But when I am with my people, the ones who know how to be quiet and actually enjoy the silence, I am not drained at all. I love my people.