Sunday, August 21, 2022

23 years

It's our anniversary today. I am grateful for 23 years with Pentti. It has not all been perfect and rosy, but I know without a doubt that he is the one that I am meant to spend the rest of my life with, that God brought us together. 
We had such a lovely dinner at Gotham Steakhouse. Everything was perfect. The food was delicious and our waiter was funny. But, when we returned to our car in the parkade, someone had smashed our passenger side window. I was struck by how fitting it was. 
I know that sounds weird, but it struck me how our evening so perfectly reflected on the highs and lows of marriage. How we could on the same night have a wonderful meal and an annoying inconvenience. How we were happy and carefree one moment and frustrated and annoyed the next. 
All relationships, but especially marriage, is full of highs and lows, excitement and the ordinary, fun and routine. It is truly a blessing to find someone who sticks it out through all of it. For better or worse, that's really what it boils down to. And for better or worse, I choose him.