Sunday, August 28, 2022

feelings

"I won't be formed by feelings, I hold fast to what is true." That lyric from a song we sang at church this morning stuck with me.
Feelings are king in our culture. Whatever you feel is true. Whatever you feel cannot be wrong. If your feeling changes, then you should definitely react accordingly. If you no longer feel love for your spouse, you should walk away because you should always feel happy. Everything should be based on your feelings. Not on responsibility, or commitment, or the creation order or anything or anyone else. Definitely not on God.
But guess what? Feelings are a terrible, shaky foundation to build your life on. I am an anxious overthinker. My feelings have in fact often been completely WRONG. I don't want to be in control based on my feelings. I want an unchanging solid foundation that is unshakeable no matter how I am feeling.
So, instead of feelings, I hold fast to what is true, as the song says. God is the creator of the universe. He is in control and He sets the rules. He loves me and knows infinitely better than I do what is best for me. The end.