Sunday, August 7, 2022

Engage



Today's writing prompt is the word "engage". It makes me think of all the plans that I have for my classroom in the fall. I think my number one goal is to engage the students: to make learning fun, to make them love reading, love school, to think, to ask questions. One of things that I am planning is a celebration on Fri Sept 23rd for Open The Magic day. Open The Magic day is actually on Sept 25th, but that falls on a Sunday this year, so I'm going to do it on the Friday. It's a day that celebrates books and reading and "confetti moments". I think it'll be a great way to start off the year and hopefully inspire even those somewhat reluctant readers to love books.

I already know that some of the students in my upcoming grade two class are behind in reading. Generally struggling readers do not love reading because it's hard and there isn't much joy in sounding out those (boring) early readers. But, loving books can make all the difference! One boy in my class last year was struggling. But, he REALLY loved this one picture book that I read out loud to the class. So, he kept at it (unbeknownst to me) and one day he came up to my desk and asked if he could read it to me. He read me the whole book!! It was a rather challenging book for a grade one, even one who wasn't struggling. But, that's what books can do. Great books make you want to be able to read them.

And seeing kids develop a love for books and reading is what inspires me. In fact, just thinking about it makes me excited for school to start. But, I'll try to enjoy the rest of summer first...lol