Thursday, August 11, 2022

Feeling Like Myself

Today's writing prompt asks where do I feel least like myself. The honest answer is not a place, but around certain people. I feel least like myself around certain people. Not because I morph into someone different, but because I get very quiet and don't feel safe to really be me. I am sarcastic, I have dark humour, I complain about people a lot. I don't tolerate stupid. And there are certain fluffy, sweet people I know who would probably start praying for my dark soul if I let them see the real me. So I don't. 
As I've gotten older, I choose my company more carefully. I no longer make time for people who I can't be myself around. I am living the last year of my 40s and I wouldn't go back to any other decade. No way. I feel way more comfortable in my own skin than I ever have. Yes, I am sometimes misunderstood or seen as antisocial when I refuse to attend certain events. But I don't care. I'll happily stay home in my pajamas and be myself.