Thursday, March 26, 2020

Day eleven




Depending on how well you know me, you might know that when I was at university, I had a tough time with reconciling my faith with what I was being taught at UBC. One of the things that helped me, I could say saved me, during that time was attending a different church for a few years. The pastor and his wife at the church that I attended were lovely. Pastor Bert was a really good preacher and just a wonderful human being. He is one of those people who emanate love and caring and warmth. Shirley is a gifted pianist and directed the church choir for years. They are both really warm and friendly people and I got to know them over the years that I attended there. Pastor Bert and Shirley would always stand at the church entrance after every service and greet every person who attended. This was no small task since the church was attended by hundreds of people, but they shepherded their flock in the truest sense of the word. 
Today, I found out that they are both in the hospital (in BC) with COVID19 and double pneumonia. She is in critical condition, he is on oxygen. I am so sad. I am praying, but I feel a bit hopeless. It also makes me wonder how many more lovely people that I know will become critically ill from this virus. Please pray for them. And please do your part to not spread the virus to others.

UPDATE: Shirley passed away on April 6. Please continue praying for Bert.