Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Day ten

I don't know how people without faith in God are coping right now. I really don't. I had the best day today and it was because of my church. I miss my church so much. But, the leadership is doing such an awesome job of keeping us connected online and of giving us hope. Not that God loves you it'll work out cheesy hope, but real hope in the face of uncertainty and job loss and fear. Our pastors do not speak from a place of being above it all. They share that they too are anxious and trying not to fall into a pit of despair. But, they also share how faith is about trust. Knowing God and who He is gives one assurance. He is in control. There may be death and devastation, but God has not changed. He still loves me. He still knows my name. He still wants a relationship with me.
I saw a meme on a friend's facebook feed that said: "This can be a period of fear and panic or it can be a period of spiritual transformation. You can choose". I really believe that. When things get shaken, what do you cling to? What lets you sleep at night? For me, it's my faith. I have absolute confidence that God loves me and is in control. I don't need to worry that I will die before my time; that's not possible.
I was really thinking about this today and it brought to mind my dad. We are currently in Hope and walked to visit his grave yesterday. It was sad. I am devastated that he is resting in the ground at Hope cemetery. But. I am also so profoundly grateful for his example. Yes, I've blogged about him before. But it struck me anew how his faith was so steadfast. He didn't live through a pandemic like this one, but he did live through other hardships: war, job loss when he was the only one earning an income, his near death illness, my brother Tim's brushes with death (twice) etc. His life wasn't all perfect and rosy. But I never heard him doubt God. He always trusted. And he instilled that trust in us. He told me in the hospital that we have hope that things will work out (he'll be healed), but even if they don't work out, we STILL have hope. I thank God for my dad and his example. And I thank God that in the middle of these dark and trying times, I have hope. And total trust.