Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Day nine


I used to live through happy moments thinking about their inevitable end. I would always be waiting for the proverbial other shoe to drop. I still do that sometimes, but I have also come to realize that happy moments must be savored and remembered because when the dark days do come, it is in their remembrance that one can find strength and comfort. Right now the days are a little dark and I think they will get a lot worse before they start getting better. So, I have been thinking about all the good and positive things that have happened to me in the last year that I can savor in these moments. Things that I can remember that bring a smile to my face. So, here is just a random list of things that make me smile:
-Kelowna with my friend Lesley; it was perfect. I blogged about it if you care to scroll back. But it was definitely one of the highlights of my summer
-girls weekend in Hope with five girlfriends; it was so lovely and fun and crazy. In fact, all the times that I spent with these ladies last year were perfect
-I met my best friend and I knew as soon as we met that we were meant to be friends. I’ve been thinking about what my favourite moments might have been and I can’t choose, there are just too many. Also, it doesn’t matter whether what we were doing was momentous like going to hear The Messiah in Abbotsford (an 8 hour day), or just going for a simple coffee at Starbucks, they are all lovely memories. But, if I had to choose my favourite memory, it would probably be the day that we went to see the movie Emma or the day we went to the Quay and walked around and had dinner just because that was the last time we were together
-going to see For King And Country with my brother and dinner at the Italian. In fact, I have a lot of good memories from The Italian and I have been there with a few of my favourite people
-the auction at Dee’s church. We may have mocked some of the happenings but it was definitely fun and funny. Plus, I had dinner at her house. Going to see Brian Doerksen together was also a highlight, as was rooming with her at Whistler.
Anyway, there are lots of moments. So on the days when I feel less than hopeful, I can remember these times of joy and savour them. I leave you with a portion of Wordsworth’s poem that echoes the very same sentiment…

These beauteous forms,
Through a long absence, have not been to me
As is a landscape to a blind man's eye:
But oft, in lonely rooms, and 'mid the din
Of towns and cities, I have owed to them,
In hours of weariness, sensations sweet,
Felt in the blood, and felt along the heart;
And passing even into my purer mind
With tranquil restoration:—feelings too
Of unremembered pleasure: such, perhaps,

As have no slight or trivial influence
On that best portion of a good man's life,
His little, nameless, unremembered, acts
Of kindness and of love. Nor less, I trust,
To them I may have owed another gift,
Of aspect more sublime; that blessed mood,
In which the burthen of the mystery,
In which the heavy and the weary weight
Of all this unintelligible world,
Is lightened:—that serene and blessed mood