Thursday, March 19, 2020

Withdrawing (day four)

Lent is a tree without blossom, without leaf,
Barer than blackthorn in its winter sleep,
All unadorned. Unlike Christmas which decrees
The setting-up, the dressing-up of trees,
Lent is a taking down, a stripping bare,
A starkness after all has been withdrawn
Of surplus and superfluous,
Leaving no hiding-place, only an emptiness
Between black branches, a most precious space
Before the leaf, before the time of flowers;
Lest we should see only the leaf, the flower,
Lest we should miss the stars. 
Jean M. Watt


Amid all the craziness, I forgot that we are in the season of Lent. My friend sent me a funny meme saying, "Honestly hadn't planned on giving up quite this much for Lent". It's funny, but also so fitting. In my pathetic efforts to bring in Lent over the last few years, I have given up various things. But I have chosen those things, and only for a period of 40 days. What happens when a lot more is stripped away, and without warning? What if there is no end date? 
Lent is supposed to be a season of withdrawing and stripping bare and drawing back. What if God is calling us to do just that? My pastor said that God has never wasted a crisis. I believe that's true. So, what could I learn? How could/should I fill my days? What could this time mean for the church if we spend more time praying and seeking the face of God?
I just finished watching a livestream prayer and worship service from Westside Church. It was so uplifting and filled my soul right up. These are the things I should be doing during these challenging times. I am encouraged.